Medical OfficerJob ID 5620053 Date posted 09/05/2017 Location Zimbabwe
Agency: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number: HHS-CDC-OD-17-2001741
SALARY RANGE: $74584 to $134776/Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: 2017-09-05 to 2018-03-02
SERIES & GRADE: GP-0602-13/15
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: United States Citizens
AGENCY MARKETING STATEMENT:
This position is exempt from the HHS hiring freeze pursuant to HHS guidance.
What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
Who May Apply: Open to US citizens.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-OM-17-2001740 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
This announcement will be used to fill positions in various geographical locations. This announcement can also be used to recruit for positions that will require a detail to an International Organization such as the World Health Organization, UNICEF, etc.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: Security and Medical clearance is required.
As a Medical Officer you will:
- Provide medical advice and consultation on critical problems in the medical/public health field.
- Manage significant projects, programs, and staff (to include representational duties with the Embassy).
- Provide scientific and/or technical guidance to host governments, health-related organizations, private and public foundations, etc. in the development of public health studies, programs, systems, strategies and/or services.
- Evaluate data collection, quality control and/or data utilization methods used to study a medical problem or issue.
- Apply new methods, approaches and technology or adaptation of existing methodologies to new and unusual situations.
- Promote the development of field epidemiological training programs.
- Provide medical leadership for the implementation of integrated public health programs.
- Foster compliance with all ethical guidelines for scientific studies and management of programs.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Bargaining Unit Position:No
7. Drug Screening may be required.
8. Promotion potential: No.
9. Mobility agreement may be required.
10. Recruitment incentive may be authorized.
- Although this announcement is advertised for multiple duty locations and grade levels, it is not intended to convey any implication nor expectation that positions will be filled at all grade levels or locations.
- This announcement is being used to create an inventory of applicants for Medical Officer positions and will be used to fill immediate and future needs.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to maximize their employment opportunities. Your application will remain in the inventory of tentatively qualified applicants. Applicants that are among the best qualified will be referred to the selecting official for consideration as requests to fill vacancies are processed by the Human Resources Office. The first cut-off date for you to be referred will be October 3, 2017. Thereafter, additional referral lists will be generated throughout the open period as vacancies occur. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
- This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified applicants will be considered as job opportunities occur and may or may not receive further notification regarding the status of their application.
- Term appointments may be shortened or extended up to a maximum of four years based on the needs of the agency without further competition. Subsequent employment for CDC positions must be through the appropriate competitive process or special employment program hiring authorities.
- Supervisory position: This announcement may be used to fill supervisory or lead positions.
Applicants must possess a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accredited body in the year of the applicant's graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provide education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed pre medical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country. Applicants who received a degree from a foreign medical school, but are licensed to practice medicine in a state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States require no other certification with regard to the quality of their education.
Additional Qualifications: In addition to meeting the Basic Qualifications applicants must also meet the following for Medical Officer, GS-602-13/14/15. NOTE: A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or AOA.
For GS-13: Three years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service implementing and evaluating medical activities related to public health programs.
For GS-14: Four years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service designing, implementing and evaluating medical activities related to public health programs.
For GS-15: Five years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service performing scientific, technical and programmatic medical activities to originate new techniques, establish criteria, or develop new information related to public health programs.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Vacancies will be filled through OPMs Direct Hire Authority. Veterans preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to positions filled under this announcement. All applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be forwarded to the selecting official for consideration. Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority. For more information on OPM's authorization of Direct Hire Authority, please visit http://www.opm.gov/employ/direct_hire/index.asp.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Knowledge of medical activities to include surveillance and epidemiology.
2. Knowledge of public health program management.
3. Ability to provide direction and guidance.
4. Skill in written communication.
5. Skill in oral communication.
6. Ability to work with multidisciplinary officials or groups.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits.
Overseas Assignments: Overseas assignments are for two years and a rotational agreement must be signed. The assignment may be extended based on the needs of the agency.
- This position is eligible for special pay allowances (e.g., post differential, housing, relocation, etc.).
- Immunizations are required and will be administered by the CDC before relocating overseas.
To work overseas for the CDC, the selectee will need to obtain security and medical clearances before being cleared to report to the overseas duty station. Continued employment will be subject to submission of all documentation necessary to obtain the medical and security clearances (including documentation for any accompanying dependents), within thirty (30) business days and obtaining the security clearance within six (6) months of the initial appointment. Please note the inability to secure the clearances necessary for overseas duty will result in the termination of the appointment to the position.
- Citizens or permanent residents of the host country are not eligible to be considered.
- Current permanent status CDC employees will be processed using a Term appointment. The selectee will not have statutory return rights. Subsequent employment for CDC positions must be through the appropriate competitive process or special employment program hiring authorities. You must apply to the merit promotion announcement for statutory return rights to your permanent CDC position title, series, and grade.
- Additional information on living and traveling abroad may be found at http://aoprals.state.gov/content.asp?content_id=184&menu_id=78
- All applicants must possess a valid medical license when applying for positions that require clinical or patient care.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, March 02, 2018 to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login,
select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible. If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf
and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 2001741.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144 . If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, March 02, 2018to receive consideration.
Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed. To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144.
Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
1. Your Résumé - You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents:
- Proof of Education: Medical Degree College Transcript, Current Medical License, Medical Diploma, or Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certification for Foreign Medical Degree
Note: You may validate your education by providing a copy of your medical school transcript, a copy of your medical license, a copy of your medical diploma, or a copy of your ECFMG certificate. If selected, however, you must provide an original official transcript before appointment.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, March 02, 2018.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
CDC HR HelpDesk CDC HR HelpDesk 1600 Clifton Rd Atlanta GA 30333 Telephone (770)488-1725 Email HRCS@CDC.GOV
ADDITIONAL DUTY LOCATIONS: