EpidemiologistJob ID 5620044 Date posted 09/05/2017 Location Zimbabwe
Agency: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number: HHS-CDC-OM-17-2001742
SALARY RANGE: $74584 to $134776/Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: 2017-09-05 to 2018-03-02
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0601-13/15
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: Current Career/Career-Conditional HHS employees
AGENCY MARKETING STATEMENT:
This position is exempt from the HHS hiring freeze pursuant to HHS guidance.
What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
Who May Apply: Current HHS Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service and PHS Commissioned Corps Officers.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position with the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred as (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
This announcement will be used to fill positions in various geographical locations. This announcement can also be used to recruit for positions that will require a detail to an International Organization such as the World Health Organization, UNICEF, etc.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-OD-17-2001743 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: Security and Medical clearance are required.
As an Epidemiologist you will:
- Serve as the recognized expert in epidemiology.
- Manage significant projects, programs and staff and will represent CDC in Embassy.
- Evaluate data collection, quality control and data utilization methods used to study epidemiological problems and issues.
- Oversee contracts, grants and cooperative agreements with full responsibility for carrying out all required monitoring and management duties for epidemiological work.
- Design, plan and initiate epidemiologic studies, surveys and investigations.
- Serve as a nationally or internationally recognized expert on epidemiological issues on critical problems in the field of epidemiology.
- Comply with all ethical guidelines for scientific and human subjects research.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Bargaining Unit Position: No
7. Drug Screening may be required.
8. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
9. Mobility agreement may be required.
10. Promotion Potential: No
11. Retention incentive may be authorized.
12. Relocation incentive may be authorized.
Must possess a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree with major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
In addition to meeting the basic qualification requirements, applicants must meet the specialized experience as stated below:
GS-13: Applicants must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience designing, overseeing, implementing and/or conducting epidemiological studies related to public health.
GS-14: Applicants must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience designing, overseeing, implementing and conducting epidemiological studies related to public health.
GS-15: Applicants must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-14 grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience planning, directing, evaluating, and coordinating epidemiological studies related to public health.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://wwwdev.cdc.gov/employment/newhire/foreigned.html.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- Although this announcement is advertised for multiple duty locations and grade levels, it is not intended to convey any implication nor expectation that positions will be filled at all grade levels or locations.
- This announcement is being used to create an inventory of applicants for Epidemiologist positions and will be used to fill immediate and future needs.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to maximize their employment opportunities. Your application will remain in the inventory of tentatively qualified applicants. Applicants that are among the best qualified will be referred to the selecting official for consideration as requests to fill vacancies are processed by the Human Resources Office. The first cut-off date for you to be referred will be October 3, 2017. Thereafter, additional referral lists will be generated throughout the open period as vacancies occur. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
- This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified applicants will be considered as job opportunities occur and may or may not receive further notification regarding the status of their application.
- Term appointments may be shortened or extended up to a maximum of four years based on the needs of the agency without further competition. Subsequent employment for CDC positions must be through the appropriate competitive process or special employment program hiring authorities.
- Temporary promotions may be extended up to a maximum of five years based on the needs of the agency without further competition.
- Temporary reassignments may be extended up to a maximum of six years based on the needs of the agency without further competition.
- Supervisory position: This announcement may be used to fill supervisory or lead positions.
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of epidemiological methodology, theories, principles and methods.
2. Knowledge of public health program management.
3. Ability to provide direction and guidance.
4. Skill in written communication.
5. Skill in oral communication.
6. Ability to work with multi-disciplinary officials and groups.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits.
Overseas Assignments: Overseas assignments are for two years. The assignment may be extended based on the needs of the agency. Upon completion of the overseas assignment, CDC employees on temporary promotion/reassignment will be placed in accordance with CDC placement procedures. Subsequent employment for all others for CDC positions must be through the appropriate competitive process or special employment program hiring authorities.
- This position is eligible for special pay allowances (e.g., post differential, housing, relocation, etc.)
- Immunizations are required and will be administered by the CDC before relocating overseas.
- To work overseas for the CDC, the selectee will need to obtain security and medical clearances before being cleared to report to the overseas duty station. Continued employment will be subject to submission of all documentation necessary to obtain the medical and security clearances (including documentation for any accompanying dependents), within thirty (30) business days and obtaining the security clearance within six (6) months of the initial appointment. Please note the inability to secure the clearances necessary for overseas duty will result in the termination of the appointment to the position. · Citizens or permanent residents of the host country are not eligible to be considered.
- Current permanent status CDC employees will be processed using the appropriate temporary promotion or other temporary assignment authority for permanent employees of CDC. The selectee will have statutory return rights to their permanent CDC position title, series and grade once the overseas assignment is completed.
- Other current permanent status HHS employees will be hired on a term appointment. There are no statutory return rights. Subsequent employment for CDC positions must be through the appropriate competitive process or special employment program hiring authorities.
- Additional information on living and traveling abroad may be found at http://aoprals.state.gov/content.asp?ontent_id=184&menu_id=78
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, March 02, 2018 to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document (s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 2001742.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, March 02, 2018 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé - You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
2. Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents:
- SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action)
- College Transcript(s)
Note: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips. The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, March 02, 2018.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
CDC HR HelpDesk CDC HR HelpDesk 1600 Clifton Rd Atlanta GA 30333 Telephone (770)488-1725 TDD 770-488-1228 Email HRCS@CDC.GOV
ADDITIONAL DUTY LOCATIONS: