Medical Officer Description at CDC
Medical OfficerJob ID 3644272 Date posted 12/19/2016
Agency: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number: HHS-CDC-M4-17-1873054
SALARY RANGE: $73846 to $160300/Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: 2016-12-19 to 2017-06-16
SERIES & GRADE: GP-0602-13/15
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
AGENCY MARKETING STATEMENT:
What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
Who May Apply:Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service; former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments; displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); 30% or more disabled veterans; Military Spouses; and PHS Commissioned Corps Officers.
Medical Officer positions may be filled with this open continuous vacancy announcement within any CDC organization. This announcement will be used to fill positions in various geographical locations HHS-wide.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position with the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred as (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-DH-17-1872408 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: Security and Medical clearance are required.
As a Medical Officer you will:
- Provide support to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) in public health research and analyses.
- Perform non-clinical duties involving the evaluation of medical research or the identification of causes or sources of disease or disease outbreaks.
- Apply epidemiological principles and/or procedures to investigate, review, analyze, and/or determine the cause(s) of problems, situations, inconsistencies, and/or issues related to programmatic degradation or systemic or causal parameters.
- Research findings which impact significant public health programs, issues, problems, processes, and procedures and/or the transmission of other causation of disease or public health issues or situations.
- Make substantive, multi-layered, and/or multi-dimensional recommendations and/or courses of action to carry out control procedures.
- Streamline public health processes and procedures, knowledge bases, and/or effect new approaches to resolve programmatic issues that contribute to the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the HHS disease prevention, control and health promotion mission.
Applicants must possess a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accredited body in the year of the applicant's graduation. A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provide education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed pre medical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country. Applicants who received a degree from a foreign medical school, but are licensed to practice medicine in a state, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States require no other certification with regard to the quality of their education.
NOTE: All applicants must possess a current medical license when applying for positions that require clinical or patient care.
Additional Qualifications: In addition to meeting the Basic Qualifications, applicants must also meet the following for Medical Officer, GS-602-13/14/15. NOTE: A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or AOA.
For GS-13: Three years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service implementing and evaluating medical activities related to public health programs.
For GS-14: Four years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service designing, implementing and evaluating medical activities related to public health programs.
For GS-15: Five years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service performing scientific, technical and programmatic medical activities to originate new techniques, establish criteria, or develop new information related to public health programs.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://wwwdev.cdc.gov/employment/newhire/foreigned.html.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- Although this announcement is advertised for multiple duty locations and grade levels, it is not intended to convey any implication nor expectation that positions will be filled at all grade levels or locations.
- This announcement is being used to create an inventory of applicants for Medical Officer positions and will be used to fill immediate and future needs.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early in order to maximize their employment opportunities. Your application will remain in the inventory of tentatively qualified applicants. Applicants that are among the best qualified will be referred to the selecting official for consideration as requests to fill vacancies are processed by the Human Resources Office.
- This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified applicants will be considered as job opportunities occur and may or may not receive further notification regarding the status of their application.
- Term appointments may be shortened or extended up to a maximum of four years based on the needs of the agency without further competition. Subsequent employment for CDC positions must be through the appropriate competitive process or special employment program hiring authorities.
- Temporary appointments may be made for a specified period not to exceed one year. The appointment may be extended one additional year for a maximum of 24 months of total service.
- Temporary promotions may be extended up to a maximum of five years based on the needs of the agency without further competition.
- Temporary reassignments may be extended up to a maximum of six years based on the needs of the agency without further competition.
- Supervisory position: This announcement may be used to fill supervisory or lead positions.
- NOTE: An optional Title 38 Physician and Dentist Pay (PDP) may be authorized in addition to base pay in order to recruit and retain highly qualified physicians.
- Some positions will be filled as permanent, temporary or term appointments.
- All applicants must possess a current medical license when applying for positions that require clinical or patient care.
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Knowledge of public health and medical programs.
2. Knowledge of theories, principles, practices and objectives of disease.
3. Ability to analyze data from studies and projects.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, June 16, 2017 to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document (s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1873054.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, June 16, 2017 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé - You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
2. Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents:
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- SF-50 (if you are a federal employee or have reinstatement rights as a federal employee)
- Proof of Education: College Transcripts, Current Medical License, or Medical Diploma
Note: You may validate your education by providing a copy of your medical school transcript, a copy of your medical license, or a copy of your medical diploma. If selected, however, you must provide an original official transcript before appointment.
Licensure and Registration - Current, full, and unrestricted license to practice medicine in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States or in the District of Columbia. The Physician must maintain a current registration to continue employment with the CDC.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips. The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, June 16, 2017.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
CDC HR HelpDesk CDC HR HelpDesk 1600 Clifton Rd Atlanta GA 30333 Telephone (770)488-1725 Email HRCS@CDC.GOV
ADDITIONAL DUTY LOCATIONS: