Biologist Description at CDC
BiologistJob ID 4493666 Date posted 04/21/2017
Agency: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number: HHS-CDC-M3-17-1944583
SALARY RANGE: $109862 to $142821/Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: 2017-04-21 to 2017-05-01
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0401-14/14
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
AGENCY MARKETING STATEMENT:
What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
This HHS Position meets the criteria outlined in OMB M-17-18 and is exempt from the hiring freeze.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)/Division of Vector-Borne Disease (DVBD), Arboviral Diseases Branch (ADB) in Fort Collins, Colorado.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-D3-17-1944574 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position with the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred as (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: Transcripts are required.
As Biologist you will:
- Provide expert scientific advice, consultation and leadership in designing, coordinating and maintaining scientific project goals, objectives and priorities within a CIO and/or CDC/ATSDR and in the general public health community.
- Design, oversee, and implement biological scientific surveys/studies or projects to identify and solve problems.
- Consult with and advise others on the development and interpretation of information and the solution of problems in the area of specialization.
A full four year course of study at an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines to the position.
A combination of education and experience which includes courses equivalent to a major field of study or specific course requirements in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements above, applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the next lower grade level in Federal service as defined in the paragraphs below:
Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph:
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include, providing technical assistance, and guidance on the best practices, policies, and implementation of national/international surveillance activities for the prevention and control of mosquito borne diseases.
Special Note about the Position: The candidate in this position will be responsible for the direct oversight of the Entomology and Ecology Activity (EAA) in the Arboviral Diseases Branch of the Division of Vector-borne Diseases. The EEA is responsible for providing technical guidance and assistance for monitoring and controlling the mosquito vectors in the United States which spread Zika, West Nile, yellow fever and other arboviruses. Experience with medical entomology, and/or the prevention and control of mosquito-borne diseases is essential to the duties performed in this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Knowledge of different biologic methodologies, theories, and practices.
Establish and maintain relationships for the purpose of achieving business goals.
Knowledge of principles and techniques related to the analysis, presentation, and exchange of data.
Make decisions in a timely manner.
Recognize each person's differences and utilize those to increase organizational effectiveness.
Knowledge of management & administrative techniques designed to ensure effective lab operations.
Knowledge and application of laboratory procedures and techniques.
Working with team members and colleagues to achieve a common goal.
Deliver clear, effective communication and take responsibility for understanding others.
Accurately assess problems and effectively and efficiently arrive at effective solutions.
Apply knowledge of public health principles, theory & policy to improve public health approaches.
Apply scientific principles & techniques to develop/enrich knowledge of a topic & advance science.
Focus on desired results and set and achieve challenging goals
The ability to prepare, present, teach, and publish reports and manuscripts of laboratory research.
Express oneself clearly in business writing.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, May 01, 2017 to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document (s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1944583.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, May 01, 2017 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé - You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
2. Assessment Questionnaire
3.Other supporting documents:
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- SF-50 (if you are a federal employee or have reinstatement rights as a federal employee)
-Transcripts; Evaluation of foreign education for degrees received outside of the U.S.
-Schedule A Eligibility Letter if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate.
Note: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, May 01, 2017
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email or by mail, if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
CDC HR HelpDesk CDC HR HelpDesk 1600 Clifton Rd Atlanta GA 30333 Telephone (770)488-1725 TDD (866) 539-4484 Email HRCS@CDC.GOV
ADDITIONAL DUTY LOCATIONS:
Fort Collins, CO