Health Scientist (Policy and Issues Management) Description at CDC
Health Scientist (Policy and Issues Management)Job ID 5686687 Date posted 09/12/2017
Agency: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number: HHS-CDC-M1-17-2006890
SALARY RANGE: $106380 to $138296/Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: 2017-09-11 to 2017-10-02
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0601-14/14
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
AGENCY MARKETING STATEMENT:
What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
This position will not be filled and no job offers will be made until resolution of the HHS hiring freeze, or the position qualifies for a hiring exemption and is approved pursuant to HHS guidance.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Office of the Director (OD), Office of the Associate Director for Science (OADS) in Atlanta, GA.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-D1-17-2006889 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position with the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred as (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
CDC Financial Disclosure OGE form 450
Holding ourselves to a higher standard; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention inspires public confidence in its trust responsibilities and mission by maintaining high ethical principles. This position is subject to the confidential financial disclosure requirements of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 (P.L. 95-521). Therefore, if selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE Form 450) to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interest and your prospective position with the agency. This Information will be required annually.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: Background Investigation is required.
As a Health Scientist (Policy and Issues Management) you will:
- Act as a senior advisor to organization's leadership term on matters related to the strategic direction of the organization as well as on the status and impact of policies, potential policies (such as legislation or administration directives).
- Provide leadership and direction for the development and maintenance of initiatives to advance the mission.
- Plan, direct and coordinate national and international process on issues related to public health.
- Plan and implement a comprehensive and integrated public health scientific program across the organizational unit.
- Develop and maintain systems to analyze complex and highly visible actions.
- Write new internal and external policies or recommendations based on changes in legislation, executive directives, Departmental issuances or other key changes in voluntary practices by a highly influential organization.
- Represent the organization in policy and planning discussions within CDC and with external partners.
- Manage the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) process/requests.
- Keep senior management informed of anticipated issues of controversy resulting from FOIA request.
- Prepare written analytic reports in support of major strategic planning and evaluation programs and initiatives for use by the organization's leadership including top management.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and moving expenses may be paid: Yes
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: Yes
10. Annual Leave for non-federal service authorized: May Be Authorized
11. Research position: No
12. Promotion potential: No
13. Managerial position: Yes - Since this is a managerial position, candidates must also have demonstrated or shown the potential to develop the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applicants should describe any previous experience or responsibilities which could be used in relation to the managerial requirements of this position.
14. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT:
Applicant must have at least a bachelor's degree with major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position from an accredited college or university.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT:
Applicants must also have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include overseeing multi-functional program activities involving public health programs; analyzing public health scientific policies and experience as a member or manager of an Institutional Review Board (IRB) or Ethics Review Board (ERB).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified. After reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Model a high standard of quality and commitment to organizational objectives.
- Establish and maintain relationships for the purpose of achieving business goals.
- Use a variety of approaches to manage and resolve concerns, disagreements, and conflicts.
- Build professional skills and competencies and improve work processes.
- Foster and initiate new ideas, methods and solutions.
- Commit to satisfying internal and external customers.
- Identify and apply analytical methods, techniques, and tools to analyze and interpret data.
- Design methods and tools to collect valid and reliable qualitative and quantitative information.
- Use relevant primary and secondary research findings to make action-oriented recommendations.
- Make decisions in a timely manner.
- Recognize each person's differences and utilize those to increase organizational effectiveness.
- Respond quickly to change and easily consider new approaches.
- Effectively impact the organization through persuasion and gaining the support of others.
- Gain the trust of others by taking responsibility for own actions and telling the truth.
- Consider and respond appropriately to the needs and feelings of people in different situations.
- Foster an inclusive workplace where differences are valued and used to achieve the mission.
- Gather/analyze information to identify gaps & determine needs related to public health problems.
- Deliver clear, effective communication and take responsibility for understanding others.
- Understand and utilize organizational dynamics to achieve objectives.
- Monitor and evaluate performance against goals, and make adjustments to achieve goals.
- Accurately assess problems and effectively and efficiently arrive at effective solutions.
- Apply different evaluation approaches & methodologies to assess program and system effectiveness.
- Administer & manage resources, projects & activities to meet program goals & agency objectives.
- Create and maintain an environment that guides a project to its successful completion.
- Apply knowledge of public health principles, theory & policy to improve public health approaches.
- Apply scientific principles & techniques to develop/enrich knowledge of a topic & advance science.
- Translate findings into evidence-based recommendations to inform public health practice.
- Respond professionally in stressful and difficult situations.
- Focus on desired results and set and achieve challenging goals.
- Proactively identify and act on problems and opportunities.
- Provide direction and leadership to help teams achieve goals & operate cooperatively & cohesively.
- Demonstrate a depth of judgment, knowledge and technical skill important for the position.
- Improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Express oneself clearly in business writing.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, October 02, 2017 to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document (s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 2006890.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, October 02, 2017 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé - You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
2. Assessment Questionnaire
3.Other supporting documents:
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- SF-50 (if you are a federal employee or have reinstatement rights as a federal employee)
-Schedule A Eligibility Letter if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate.
Note: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, October 02, 2017
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email or by mail, if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
CDC HR HelpDesk CDC HR HelpDesk 1600 Clifton Rd Atlanta GA 30333 Telephone (770)488-1725 Email HRCS@CDC.GOV
ADDITIONAL DUTY LOCATIONS: