Economist Description at CDC
EconomistJob ID 5884551 Date posted 10/04/2017
Agency: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number: HHS-CDC-M4-18-10054288
SALARY RANGE: $106380.0000 to $138296.0000/Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: 2017-10-04 to 2017-10-19
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0110-14/14
POSITION INFORMATION: Full-Time
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
This announcement is being used to create an inventory of qualified applicants for this position. This inventory will not be used and no job offers will be made until resolution of the hiring freeze, or the position qualifies for a hiring exemption and is approved pursuant to OMB guidance. The January 23, 2017, Presidential Memorandum, entitled "Hiring Freeze," ordered government agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), to freeze all hiring of Federal civilian employees. In an effort to ensure CDC is best positioned to resume hiring after the hiring freeze expires and the Office of Management and Budget (OMB)/Office of Personnel Management (OPM) issues a joint plan to reduce the size of the Federal Government's workforce, CDC will continue its recruitment efforts (post job vacancy announcements, evaluate and screen applicants, interview, etc.).
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Center for Global Health, Division of Global HIV and TB, Economics and Health Services Research Branch.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-D4-18-10054287 under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position with the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred as (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: Background Investigation is required
As an Economist you will:
- Serve as a senior health Economist in the Division of Global HIV/AIDS and TB (DGHT).
- Serve as DGHT's technical advisor on health economics issues and matters related to analysis and collection of health economic data.
- Responsible for formulating and developing DGHT-wide program of data collection and analyses bearing on the major health economic policy issues.-Recommends to the DGHT Director, DGHT Leadership team and Chief, Economics and Health Services Research Branch priorities for economic evaluations and policy assessment of DGHT intervention activities.
- Provide advice and consultation in regard to economic evaluations to senior scientists and a variety of individuals, groups, and organizations at the national and international levels.
- Lead the development and implementation of DGHT's economic research agenda.
Q - Nonsensitive
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid:? No
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
10. Annual Leave for non-federal service may be authorized: No
11. Research position: No
Have a combination of experience and education. Coursework must be equivalent to a major in economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting or calculus AND possess appropriate experience or additional education which demonstrates similarly appropriate skills or abilities needed to perform the duties of this position.
In addition to meeting the basic qualifications, applicants must meet the specialized experience as stated below.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience in providing health economic advice and analysis in evaluating, initiating, formulating, and planning in public health as it relates to HIV/AIDS.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Establish and maintain relationships for the purpose of achieving business goals.
2. Foster and initiate new ideas, methods and solutions.
3. Identify and apply analytical methods, techniques, and tools to analyze and interpret data.
4. Make decisions in a timely manner.
5. Apply knowledge of theory and applied methods needed to conduct an economic analysis.
6. Respond quickly to change and easily consider new approaches.
7. Deliver clear, effective communication and take responsibility for understanding others.
8. Understand and utilize organizational dynamics to achieve objectives.
9. Monitor and evaluate performance against goals, and make adjustments to achieve goals.
10. Assess and interpret policy to support decision making.
11. Proactively identify and act on problems and opportunities.
12. Provide direction and leadership to help teams achieve goals & operate cooperatively & cohesively.
OTHER INFORMATION:If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternative Application.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 10/19/2017 of this announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you cannot apply online:
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Other Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
- Your résumé showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
- Other supporting documents:Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- SF-50 (if you are a federal employee or have reinstatement rights as a federal employee)
- Transcripts (if applicable)
- Schedule A Eligibility Letter if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 10/19/2017.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email or by mail, if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
CDC HELPDESK CDC HELPDESK 1600 Clifton Road NE Atlanta GA US 30333 Telephone (770) 488-1725 Fax Email HRCS@CDC.GOV
ADDITIONAL DUTY LOCATIONS: