Biologist Description at CDC
BiologistJob ID 5356281 Date posted 08/11/2017
Agency: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number: HHS-CDC-M3-17-1993580
SALARY RANGE: $63161 to $82106/Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-25
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0401-11/11
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
AGENCY MARKETING STATEMENT:
What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
This position is exempt from the HHS hiring freeze pursuant to HHS guidance.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), Atlanta, GA.
Positions may be filled as temporary term or permanent with a full-time work schedule.
Appointment Types: Federal employees with career or career-conditional appointments in the competitive service; former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility based on previous career or career-conditional appointments; displaced Federal employees requesting special priority selection consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP); 30% or more disabled veterans; Military Spouses; and PHS Commissioned Corps Officers.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-D3-17-1994516under competitive procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under competitive procedures.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position with the Commissioned Corps may apply online to this announcement. Candidates will be referred as (CC) personnel and not as candidates for conversion to a permanent career or career-conditional appointment.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: College Transcripts
As a Biologist you will:
- Perform biological and related fields support work in various scientific and public health areas.
- Acquire and organize materials and information to carry out study procedures for assigned or solely developed projects.
- Prepare and deliver written and oral reports to a variety of individuals and groups in both informal and formal settings.
- Provide training to students and other laboratory personnel.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: May Be Authorized
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
10. Annual Leave for non-federal service authorized: No
11. Research position: No
12. Promotion potential: No
13. Supervisory position: No
14. Time in grade (TIG) must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic requirements: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at the GS-9 level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to
interpret specialized tests and operate laboratory equipment utilizing molecular diagnostic technology for the detection and identification of pathogenic microorganisms.
3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or possess a PhD or equivalent graduate degree in a field that is directly related to the duties of this position.
Possess a combination of specialized experience and graduate level education that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position.
Documenting experience: In accordance with Office of Personnel Management policy, federal employees are assumed to have gained experience by performing duties and responsibilities appropriate for their official series and grade level as described in their position description. Experience that would not normally be part of the employee's position is creditable, however, when documented by satisfactory evidence, such as a signed memorandum from the employee's supervisor or an SF-50 or SF-52 documenting an official detail or other official assignment. The documentation must indicate whether the duties were performed full time or, if part time, the percentage of times the other duties were performed. It is expected that this documentation is included in the employee's official personnel record. In order to receive credit for experience in your resume that is not within the official series and grade level of your official position, you must provide a copy of the appropriate documentation of such experience as indicated above.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics; Knowledge of different biologic methodologies, theories, and practices.
1. Knowledge of different biologic methodologies, theories, and practices.
2. Establish and maintain relationships for the purpose of achieving business goals.
3. Commit to satisfying internal and external customers.
4. Knowledge and application of techniques related to the collection, analysis and management of data.
5. Recognize each person's differences and utilize those to increase organizational effectiveness.
6. Gain the trust of others by taking responsibility for own actions and telling the truth.
7. Knowledge and application of laboratory/field/modeling/surveillance procedures and techniques.
8. Working with team members and colleagues to achieve a common goal.
9. Focus on desired results and set and achieve challenging goals.
10. Provide training, consultation, or other guidance to others.
11. The ability to prepare, present, teach, and publish reports and manuscripts of laboratory research.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, August 25, 2017 to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.
If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document (s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1993580.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, August 25, 2017 to receive consideration. Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed.
To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé - You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
2. Assessment Questionnaire
3.Other supporting documents:
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- SF-50 (if you are a federal employee or have reinstatement rights as a federal employee)
-Schedule A Eligibility Letter if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate.
Note: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips.
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Friday, August 25, 2017
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email or by mail, if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
CDC HR HelpDesk CDC HR HelpDesk 1600 Clifton Rd Atlanta GA 30333 Telephone (770)488-1725 TDD 866-539-4484 Email HRCS@CDC.GOV
ADDITIONAL DUTY LOCATIONS: