Microbiologist Description at CDC
MicrobiologistJob ID 5370157 Date posted 08/12/2017
Agency: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Job Announcement Number: HHS-CDC-D3-17-1995935
SALARY RANGE: $94819 to $123263/Per Year
OPEN PERIOD: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-31
SERIES & GRADE: GS-0403-13/13
POSITION INFORMATION: Full Time
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: United States Citizens
AGENCY MARKETING STATEMENT:
What exciting career opportunities await you at CDC?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is the agency Americans trust with their lives. As a global leader in public health, CDC is the nation's premier health promotion, prevention, and preparedness agency. Whether we are protecting the American people from public health threats, researching emerging diseases, or mobilizing public health programs with our domestic and international partners, we rely on our employees to make a real difference in the health and well-being of people here and around the world.
This position is exempt from the HHS hiring freeze pursuant to HHS guidance.
Who May Apply: Open to US citizens and applicants eligible under Schedule A authority.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-CDC-M3-17-1995806 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID), Division of Preparedness and Emerging Infections (DPEI), Arctic Investigations Program (AIP), located in Anchorage, Alaska.
Salary may be adjusted to include a Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) of 4.22% for Anchorage, AK.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit promotion announcement indicated above.
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
CDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
KEY REQUIREMENTS: College Transcripts required.
As a Microbiologist you will:
- Design, implement, and oversee research on microorganisms or biological agents of public health interest.
- Serve as an expert on research topics pertaining to microbial pathogens, such as the scientific basis of drug resistance, molecular epidemiology, and pathogenesis.
- Serve as a laboratory coordinator to be responsible for the management of laboratory resources and space, and promote the smooth operation of a safe laboratory environment.
Q - Nonsensitive
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: May Be Authorized
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No
10. Annual Leave for non-federal service authorized: No
11. Research position: No
12. Promotion potential: No
13. Supervisory position: No
14. Cost of Living Allowance (COLA): Yes, 4.22%
Basic Qualification: Degree: microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to meeting the basic qualification requirements: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 grade level of difficulty and responsibility in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience at or equivalent to which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include providing advice and performing microbiological scientific work involving studies of the characteristics and life processes of microorganisms, their interrelationships with other living forms, and their reactions to the environment.
Special Note About the Position: The candidate in this position will be responsible for the direct oversight of the Alaska Area Specimen Bank (AASB). The AASB is a biorepository of specimens collected for the health benefit of American Indian (AI) and Alaskan Native (AN) populations. Cultural awareness of AI/AN is important to the duties performed in this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified. The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). You do not have to respond to the KSAs separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSAs.
1. Establish and maintain relationships for the purpose of achieving business goals.
2. Build professional skills and competencies and improve work processes.
3. Make decisions in a timely manner.
4. Recognize each person's differences and utilize those to increase organizational effectiveness.
5. Gain the trust of others by taking responsibility for own actions and telling the truth.
6. Knowledge of management & administrative techniques designed to ensure effective lab operations.
7. Knowledge and application of laboratory procedures and techniques.
8. Knowledge of different microbiologic methodologies, theories, and practices.
9. Working with team members and colleagues to achieve a common goal.
10. Deliver clear, effective communication and take responsibility for understanding others.
11. Accurately assess problems and effectively and efficiently arrive at effective solutions.
12. Apply knowledge of public health principles, theory & policy to improve public health approaches.
13. Apply scientific principles & techniques to develop/enrich knowledge of a topic & advance science.
14. Focus on desired results and set and achieve challenging goals.
15. Provide training, consultation, or other guidance to others.
16. The ability to prepare, present, teach, and publish reports and manuscripts of laboratory research.
17. Express oneself clearly in business writing.
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov). For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Thursday, August 31, 2017 to receive consideration.
* To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
* Click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application package.
* It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
* To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login,
select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
* To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:
You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible. If you completed the occupational questionnaire online and are unable to upload supporting document(s):
1. To fax your documents, you must use the following cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf
and provide the required information. The Vacancy ID is 1995935.
2. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144 . If you cannot complete the Application Package online, you may fax all of your materials. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Thursday, August 31, 2017to receive consideration.
Keep a copy of your fax confirmation in the event verification is needed. To complete the occupational questionnaire and submit via fax:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire.
2. Print the 1203FX form, follow the instructions and provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire items http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdfimage/opm1203fx.pdf.
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144.
Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
1. Your Résumé - You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that include beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed.
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire
3. Other supporting documents:
- Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable
- Proof of Education:Transcript(s)
- Schedule A Eligibility Letter if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For Résumé and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Thursday, August 31, 2017.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email or by mail, if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
CDC HR HelpDesk CDC HR HelpDesk 1600 Clifton Rd Atlanta GA 30333 Telephone (770)488-1725 Email HRCS@CDC.GOV
ADDITIONAL DUTY LOCATIONS: